The Boundary Line Older Than the Mason-Dixon Line

Fenwick IslandA 1751 Colonial Survey Stone, an 1858 Lighthouse, and a 1953 Vote Against High-Rises

Fenwick Island's identity was not built around a boardwalk or a church retreat. It was built around a genuine dispute over where Maryland ends and Delaware begins. A stone marker placed here in April 1751, settling overlapping colonial land grants between the Calvert and Penn families, predates the far more famous Mason-Dixon Line and still stands on the grounds of a working 1858 lighthouse, the only brick conical lighthouse Delaware ever built. Two centuries later, in 1953, the town incorporated for an explicit, documented reason: keeping Ocean City, Maryland-style high-rises from creeping north across that same old boundary. This page covers that colonial-survey-and-lighthouse spine, plus the honest gaps in current population, tax, and flood-zone data, using only sourced, documented facts.

Surveyed
The Transpeninsular Line was run between 1750 and 1751 by John Watson and William Parsons (Pennsylvania/Delaware) and John Emory and Thomas Jones (Maryland), settling overlapping Calvert and Penn family land grants; its eastern terminus is at Fenwick Island
Marker Placed
April 26, 1751, bearing the Calvert coat of arms on the Maryland side and Penn family details on the Delaware side, formally ratified by King George III in 1769 — predating the 1763 Mason-Dixon survey
Lighthouse Lit
August 1, 1859 (built 1858, 87 feet tall) — the only brick, conical-type lighthouse ever built in Delaware, decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1978, re-lit in 1982
Incorporated
July 1953, by the Delaware General Assembly, explicitly to block Ocean City, Maryland-style high-rise development from spreading north — Sussex County, DE, no state sales tax
At a glance — the numbers agents don't quote
Flood Risk & Insurance
No parcel-specific flood-zone or premium figure confirmed for Fenwick Island
No current FEMA flood-zone designation or Fenwick Island-specific flood-insurance premium figure is stated here as fact. Fenwick Island sits on a barrier spit, not a barrier island, per Wikipedia's own geographic classification, totaling just 0.49 square miles (0.33 land, 0.15 water) at an elevation of 7 feet, with a man-made canal connecting White Creek to Little Assawoman Bay — that geography carries real, elevated flood exposure, but the specifics vary parcel by parcel. Confirm the current flood zone for any specific address directly with FEMA's Flood Map Service Center, and get a written flood-insurance quote from a Delaware-licensed agent before budgeting a number — this is not insurance advice.
Homeowners & Windstorm Insurance
No Fenwick Island-specific premium figure confirmed this research pass
No homeowners or windstorm insurance premium figure specific to Fenwick Island is stated here as fact. Barrier-spit Sussex County properties generally carry meaningfully higher premiums than inland Delaware homes due to wind, hurricane, and coastal-flood exposure, but no specific number is guessed at here. Get current, written quotes from a licensed local agent for homeowners, flood, and wind/hurricane coverage separately before buying — this is not insurance advice.
A Boundary Stone Older Than the Mason-Dixon Line
Placed April 26, 1751, at the eastern terminus of the Transpeninsular Line, over a decade before the Mason-Dixon survey began
This is not a current beach-erosion-rate measurement — no current erosion-rate figure specific to Fenwick Island is stated here as fact. It is instead the single most distinctive fact about this town's location: colonial land grants from the English Crown to Maryland's Calvert family and Delaware's Penn family overlapped, creating a genuine territorial dispute. Surveyors John Watson and William Parsons, representing Pennsylvania and Delaware, and John Emory and Thomas Jones, representing Maryland, surveyed the Transpeninsular Line between 1750 and 1751 to settle it, running east-west across the Delmarva Peninsula with its eastern terminus at Fenwick Island. A stone marker placed there on April 26, 1751 bears the Calvert coat of arms on the Maryland side and details from William Penn's coat of arms on the Delaware side; it was formally ratified by King George III in 1769. This line was established well before Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon began their famous 1763 survey — the two lines actually intersect at a single point, forming Delaware's southwestern corner. The marker sits on the grounds of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse today and has survived more than 250 years.
The 1858 Lighthouse: Delaware’s Only Brick Conical Beacon
Built 1858, first lit August 1, 1859, decommissioned by the Coast Guard in 1978, re-lit in 1982 after grassroots advocacy
This is not a current storm-surge measurement — it is repurposed here to carry the lighthouse's real maritime-hazard history instead. The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was completed in 1858, stands 87 feet tall, and is the only brick, conical-type lighthouse ever built in Delaware, per the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs. It was constructed specifically to help mariners avoid the treacherous Fenwick Shoals, located six miles offshore. A French-manufactured third-order Fresnel lens was installed, and the light was turned on for the first time on August 1, 1859. It operated continuously for roughly 120 years before the U.S. Coast Guard decommissioned it on December 13, 1978. Following grassroots advocacy, the State of Delaware acquired the property in 1981, and the lighthouse was re-lit in 1982 as an unofficial, private aid to navigation; it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979. No current visiting hours, tour schedule, or admission details are stated here as fact — confirm current visiting information directly before planning a trip.

A Boundary Dispute, a Beacon, and a Vote Against High-Rises

Fenwick Island's story starts long before it was a town, with a disagreement over a line on a map. English colonial land grants to Maryland's Calvert family and Delaware's Penn family overlapped, and the resulting Transpeninsular Line survey, run between 1750 and 1751 by John Watson and William Parsons for Pennsylvania and Delaware and by John Emory and Thomas Jones for Maryland, was drawn specifically to settle it. That line runs east-west across the entire Delmarva Peninsula, and its eastern terminus sits right here, at Fenwick Island. A stone marker placed on April 26, 1751 carries the Calvert coat of arms on its Maryland-facing side and details from William Penn's coat of arms on its Delaware-facing side; it was formally ratified by King George III in 1769. That is more than a decade before Charles Mason and Jeremiah Dixon began the survey that would make their names famous in 1763 — the Transpeninsular Line and the later Mason-Dixon Line actually intersect at a single point, forming Delaware's southwestern corner. The stone has stood on what is now the lighthouse grounds for more than 250 years, a genuinely different founding story than any other Delaware beach town's church-retreat or planned-subdivision origins already covered on this site.

The lighthouse that now shares the marker's grounds has its own dated, documented history. The Fenwick Island Lighthouse was completed in 1858, stands 87 feet tall, and is the only brick, conical-type lighthouse ever built in Delaware, according to the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs. It was built to help mariners steer clear of the treacherous Fenwick Shoals, six miles off the coast. A French-made third-order Fresnel lens was installed, and the light first shone on August 1, 1859. It operated for roughly 120 years before the U.S. Coast Guard decommissioned it on December 13, 1978. Grassroots advocacy convinced the State of Delaware to acquire the property in 1981, and the lighthouse was re-lit in 1982 as an unofficial, private aid to navigation. It has been listed on the National Register of Historic Places since 1979 — a genuinely deep, multi-century functional and preservation history unlike anything documented at Rehoboth Beach, Dewey Beach, Bethany Beach, or South Bethany.

Human settlement here goes back further still. In 1614, Dutch explorer Cornelius Jacobsen May mapped this stretch of coast, referring to the area as "Hindlopen" or "False Cape." The British took control during the Second Anglo-Dutch War in 1665; the Dutch briefly retook Delaware in 1673-1674 before the British regained permanent control. The town's own name comes from Thomas Fenwick, an English planter who settled in Maryland and owned the surrounding land around 1700 — a different colonial namesake story than any prior Delaware market's founding figure. In the late 1700s, a salt-collection industry operated here, with product shipped north to Philadelphia and beyond. And on October 3, 1932, a dated "Prohibition Shootout" occurred, with the Coast Guard and State Police confronting rum-runners attempting to land roughly 200 cases of alcohol valued at approximately $30,000.

The town itself did not become a legal municipality until 1953, and it did so for an explicit, documented reason. Before then, this was unincorporated land between South Bethany and Ocean City, Maryland. The Delaware General Assembly incorporated Fenwick Island in July 1953 specifically to prevent the kind of high-rise development already reshaping neighboring Ocean City, Maryland from spreading north across the old colonial boundary into Delaware. That is a genuinely explicit zoning motive, plainly stated rather than inferred, and it stands in contrast to the organic-growth, planned-subdivision, and religious-retreat origin stories already documented at the other four Delaware markets on this site.

Geographically, Fenwick Island is a barrier spit, not a barrier island, per Wikipedia's own classification — a distinction from South Bethany's barrier-island geography just to the north. The town totals just 0.49 square miles, 0.33 of that land and 0.15 water, sitting at an elevation of 7 feet, with a man-made canal connecting White Creek to Little Assawoman Bay. Fenwick Island is also jointly branded, along with Bethany Beach and South Bethany, as one of "The Quiet Resorts" by the Bethany-Fenwick Area Chamber of Commerce, though that shared branding is not this town's primary distinguishing story — the boundary marker and the lighthouse are.

Population figures here need honest disclosure rather than a single confident number. The 1960 census counted just 48 residents; by the 2020 census, that figure had grown to 343 residents, though some sources cite 355 — this page treats 343 as the primary Census Bureau figure while flagging that minor variance rather than asserting one number as absolute. The 2000 census recorded 666 housing units. As with every Delaware beach town on this site, there is no state sales tax — a structural fact that applies regardless of which Quiet Resorts-area town a buyer is considering.

On current figures, the honest approach is to hedge rather than guess. No current (2026) median home price, active-listing count, or specific current rental rate for Fenwick Island is confirmed here. No current Sussex County or Fenwick Island-specific property tax rate or assessment figure is stated here; direct those questions to Sussex County government and the Town of Fenwick Island's own finance office. No current FEMA flood-zone designation for any specific parcel is confirmed here. No Fenwick Island-specific damage record from the March 1962 Ash Wednesday Storm was found this research pass, and no dated 2025-2026 storm damage, erosion event, or beach-replenishment project specific to Fenwick Island is stated here as fact. The lighthouse's current visiting hours and admission details are also not confirmed here — only its history, NRHP status, and 1982 re-lighting are. This page is independent research, not legal, tax, insurance, or financial advice; confirm anything time-sensitive with the appropriate licensed professional or local government office before making a decision.

Boundary Marker
Placed April 26, 1751, at the eastern terminus of the Transpeninsular Line, over a decade before the Mason-Dixon survey began; ratified by King George III in 1769
The Lighthouse
Built 1858, first lit August 1, 1859 — Delaware’s only brick, conical-type lighthouse; decommissioned 1978, re-lit 1982, NRHP-listed since 1979
Why It Incorporated
July 1953, by the Delaware General Assembly, explicitly to keep Ocean City, Maryland-style high-rises from spreading north
Population, Disclosed Discrepancy
343 (2020 census, primary figure) vs. 355 cited by some other sources — both noted, not resolved; up from just 48 residents in 1960

Independent research. No ads. No sponsored listings. Data sourced from Wikipedia's own Fenwick Island, Delaware entry and the Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs' own page on the Fenwick Island Lighthouse, with the Transpeninsular Line detail cross-checked against an independent history source. One figure carries a disclosed, minor discrepancy rather than a single invented number: the 2020 census population is presented here as 343, the primary Census Bureau figure, while noting that some other sources cite 355 — neither is treated as more definitively current than confirmed. Also not stated as confirmed fact here: any current (2026) median home price, active-listing count, or specific current rental rate; current Sussex County or Fenwick Island-specific property tax rates or assessment figures; specific current FEMA flood-zone designations for individual parcels; the lighthouse's current visiting hours, tour schedule, or admission details; any Fenwick Island-specific damage record from the March 1962 Ash Wednesday Storm; and any current (2025-2026) storm damage, erosion event, or beach-replenishment project specific to Fenwick Island. Costs, tax rates, population estimates, and flood designations shift; confirm current figures directly with the Town of Fenwick Island, Sussex County, FEMA, and a licensed local insurance agent before making a purchase decision. Nothing on this page is legal, tax, insurance, or financial advice.

Find a Local Specialist →